Saturday, December 10, 2005

Some hasty and vague scrawlings about luck

I haven't posted here in quite a while, so I'll place here some mildly coherent jottings I was impelled to earlier today:

Lucky- not that I could have been the other or even necessarily been other than what I am, but that what I am is not to my credit, nor finally to anyone's. This is what I think, looking upon the truly unfortunate: What I have, and you have not- can I think of it as any more mine than yours?

This sentiment is tempered by an understanding that, through my own creative activity and involvement, there is a satisfactory sense in which there is much that I have made mine, and will make mine, and at the same time, the plight of others does not immediately mean any obligation of mine. All this considered, it remains the case that an honest appraisal of my siutation in comparison to those of others impels me to share, or to place myself in a situation where I can share, the luck that is mine.


It felt like a bit of a handful to write that their plight does not entail my obligation: why do I feel so much like it does? At least in part, it's because I haven't done what it takes to make any of this luck mine; that I do not appreciate what I have, that I do not put it to good use. This is an easy thing to pass over in silence, but throughout this project I have cultivated (or willfully maintained) a sensitivity to this type of concern, and it will find an answer in practice.

Philosophy has always been a matter of practice for me: It is by striving to live up to what I know that I am able to learn more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home